Friday, September 12, 2008

Pissed Off Sports Mom Chocolate Makes It Better Cookies

Pin It

You couldn't pay me to be a teenager today. School is ultra competitive, sports are ultra competitive, and as usual the nice guy finishes last. I lived it with Nic and I'm living it with Christina. I know "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", and as I've told my kids for years, I don't squeak. I may have squeaked a little last night. I was pissed off, plain and simple. Why, where and who is trivial, but baking is the only answer.
I was really gonna work on some good low fat alternatives for the blog, but maybe in another, calmer, time.

I am not a chocoholic. I don't order chocolate desserts, or go for chocolate ice cream. I love bittersweet chocolate bars, especially Lindt with chile pepper (thanks Lori) and the yummy organic xxoo bars at Whole Foods. I think the reason these Pissed Off Sports Mom Chocolate Makes It Better cookies appeal to me is because they are dark chocolaty, and a little goes a long way. The espresso enhances the dark chocolate, keeps it from being too sweet. But, the salt is key, amazingly, you can taste it and the contrast with the creamy dark chocolate is divine. Use only sea salt, and you'll experience it too!

This is an old recipe from a friend Julie Speelhoffer, that she shared after I bought my first (and only) food processor. Of course it is a Cuisinart, it is easily 15 years old, and I love it. It isn't the first appliance to come to mind when you're making cookies, but it makes them so easily. Quick clean up, and a great little hunk of chocolate heaven!


Pissed Off Sports Mom Chocolate Makes it Better Cookies

5 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon Instant Espresso
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Cup flour
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
1/4 teaspoon salt

Process chocolate and sugar with steel blade for 2 minutes or until fine. Add butter, eggs, coffee and vanilla. Blend until fluffy. Scrape down sides.

Add flour, chocolate chunks and salt. Process using on/off pulse until just combined. Do not over process.

Mound dough onto sheets in 2-3 Tablespoon clumps about 2" apart. Bake 12 minutes at 350, rotating sheets halfway through. Cookies should be slightly firm to touch, but careful not to over bake. Cool on rack. It only takes one to find a more peaceful place.
Makes about 2 dozen

Happy Baking! And if you like this food processor business, check out Rose Levy Birnbaum's Christmas Cookie book. She has directions for almost all her cookies using a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment