Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Traveling Cookies

Pin It

I know what I have to do. Bake cookies. What a joy! (really, I enjoy this!) Nick shot me an email last week asking where they were, I mean I had left New Mexico 4 days ago! I know many people who have their standard cookies, Toll House cookies, Oatmeal Raisin, Snickerdoodles, I love them all. But if I'm pulling all the stuff out and turning on the oven, I want to try something new, pull out an old recipe, or find a classic in an old cookbook.

I've settled on M&M Monster Cookies. A recipe given to me by a gal I worked with one summer in my dad's offices, about 25 years ago, Tina Coyne. (Wonder where she is?) The cookies are full of stuff, have a peanut butter base, and are pretty dense. I remember the recipe making a large amount, so Scott and Christina will be happy to have some to eat as well.

It has a pretty extensive list of ingredients, but no flour. Hmmm. I see a trend starting. (see peanut butter cookies from a few posts back). But it does take enormous amonts of oatmeal, peanut butter and eggs. It calls for a one-pound bag of M&Ms which I'm certain they sold 22 years ago. Now, however, you can only find a 14 ounce bag. I added a cup of milk chocolate chips to keep them full of stuff! The recipe makes 90+ cookies that are scooped with an ice cream scoop, so they are pretty big. Since it's September, I went with the seasonal M&Ms, which used to be boring brown, black and orange, but now have an addition of purple and lime green. Very Halloween-like.

I used my Kitchen-Aid mixer, and the dough was teetering on the top of the bowl, mind you it's a 6qt. bowl. So you'll need a big bowl, heavy mixer, (or strong arms) and time. I baked 9 cookies to a sheet, 12 minutes baking time at 350 Convection Bake. They don't really spread much, but because of their size I doubt you could fit a dozen on a sheet. I know a batch this size is overwhelming to many, so stay organized, and do it in steps.

I used a medium size Italian made ice cream scoop sold at Williams Sonoma. These cookies aren't great made small. Size matters! Remember to move the sheets from front to back and upper shelf to middle shelf halfway through the baking time.
Scott deemed these the best cookies in 22 years. Wow! I've made a lot of cookies in that time. Christina agreed they were great, but prefers oatmeal chocolate chip. I bagged them up, wrapped them in bubble wrap and shipped them Priority. I'm sure they will be loved in New Mexico! Happy Baking!

M & M Monster Cookies
6 large eggs
1 pound light brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons white corn syrup
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 pound butter, unsalted, softened
1 1/2 pounds peanut butter, smooth or chunky
9 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 pound M & Ms
Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and mix well. Add everthing else and scoop with ice cream scoop. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden. Do not overbake!

No comments:

Post a Comment