Sunday, April 1, 2012

Post Pizza Enlightened Frittata

Pin It



So last night we had friends over for pizza.  Grilled pizza, so delicious! So as we clean up, I am left with little ramekins of leftovers: chopped mushrooms, onions, sweet peppers, artichoke hearts and some grated Italian cheeses.  I also found some fresh spinach and there was a smidge of chicken Italian sausage from the Fresh Market (a favorite ingredient of mine!) So I decided it would make the perfect frittata!

Basically a frittata is an open faced omelette.  I approach it like my Pantry Raid Cookies, a great excuse for cleaning out the odds and ends.  Lucky for me and my Points, vegetables are virtually no Points, and I am using mostly egg whites (much to the delight of my dog, who gets the yolks!), so the fat content stays relatively low.  Although I am using the fancy-schmancy frittata pan from WS, I always use some sort of fat.  There are very few pans that will release an entire open faced omelet like this, and I am not going scrape it off! And cooking it low and slow is really key.  You cannot hurry this!  I know my pans are cruddy looking.  But I treat them like a seasoned pan, they can't be scrubbed slick or they will never release again.  They need to be cooked on and washed.  The only pans I scour are stainless steel.  To see the pans all shiny, look here.

Post Pizza Frittata

1 egg
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups mixed veggies, onions, peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts
1 cup fresh spinach
1/2 link chicken Italian sausage
1/4 cup Italian shredded cheese
1 oz. fresh mozzarella
1 teaspoon olive oil


I sprayed both frittata pans, and put the oil in the bottom pan, They're marked to tell you which pan to begin the frittata in.  Beat eggs well, and add all other ingredients.  I also added some Tuscan Sunset, for a little Italian herbs. Over med-low heat, warm up pan and add egg mixture.  As the egg mixture cooks, place the top pan on bottom pan and continue cooking until the eggs are no longer runny.  Flip pans and continue cooking.  Total cooking time will run about 8-10 minutes.  Slide frittata onto plate and serve with fruit and salsa if desired.
Points+ 12  Not bad for brunch if you cover 2 meals with this, but even better if you make it for 2 people and share!  So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and cook!




No comments:

Post a Comment