Monday, December 10, 2012

Apple Croustades with Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream

Pin It



I love Phyllo dough.  There are a million things you can do with it, and those flaky layers just shattering with every bite!  Growing up, we made our own.  I know, crazy, right?  We call it Pita in my family, think of that Greek pastry called spanikopita. Do not think of pita bread.  Our pita is phyllo.  My Serbian background has a lot of Greek influence.  But interestingly enough, we never had it layered and sweet like Baklava.  Years ago, we had a Daring Baker challenge where we made it, and it was a fun project.  Not the most successful, but still tasty.  I would love to make it with my mom one day...hint, hint, hint!



For supper club, I chose to make this apple version.  So delicious, right out of Bon Appetit.  Apple Croustades with Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream.  I can't lie.  These were crazy simple to make, and amazingly delicious!



I do buy my phyllo from a specialty grocer, and it is a little pricier than what they sell at Kroger.  It is worth it.  The sheets are bigger, and the turn over is much better, so unlikely that I would get a crumbly box of old phyllo.  Also, after I made the croustades for supper club, I made a little more filling and made a more traditional Serbian Pita.  We roll them into logs.  I baked them until golden, and put them in the freezer.  I know a couple of college kids who will be most happy about this!



It seems silly for me to totally reprint the recipe, as I followed it exactly.  I know, shocker.  But I didn't use a muffin tin for my croustades, I chose to build them in ramekins.  This way if they didn't slide out perfectly, I still had a serving vessel attached.  They did release beautifully.  Perfect.  Delicious!
Where's the plating photo?  I think on my phone.  Let me look, and I will update.  If I didn't take any, which does happen after a glass of two or wine, then you'll have to make your own!  What are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment