Friday, July 12, 2013

Soft Sugar Cookies

Pin It

It's a defiant challenge.  I tell my son I will send him a care package and maybe make cookies, what would he like?  He always says I can't make his favorite cookies.  Whaddya mean, can't?  Here's the thing.  I like my sugar cookies to snap. He likes them soft.  I thought he was referring to those Lofthouse cookies in the plastic shell at the grocery.  You know, colored sprinkles depending on the holiday.  They look enticing, yet, they are bland and rather gross.  So I hit up Pinterest and found this recipe for Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies.  Then he texted my daughter and said, No!  Not the right cookies.  How could I forget?  Nic's Grocery Store Sugar Cookies.  Oh well, he got the cookies you see here.  I'm sure he got over it.  



Soft Sugar Cookies

3 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and mix well. Taste.  It should be heavenly.  Now add the eggs one at a time and mix just to blend.  Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix thoroughly.  Cover the dough and chill.  The recipe says an hour.  I chilled for 3 days.  It happens.  It rolls out best if it is really cold as this dough is kind of a sticky mess.

Roll into balls and flatten, they will not flatten on their own.  I bake on a Silpat or you could use parchment.  Bake at 350˚F.  You want them to no longer be moist on top, but not browned.  About 6-8 minutes in my convection oven.  Cool completely.

Icicng

About 3 cups confectioner's sugar
4 T butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
a few teaspoons milk to thin to the right consistency

Beat the butter into the powdered sugar.  Add the vanilla (real vanilla is brown so beware, you will not have white frosting!)  Add the milk until it is the right consistency to spread.  Top with sprinkles.  

These are tasty, but a little dry for me.  I packed them up and sent them to the Windy City.  Hope he loved them.  What are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment