Wednesday, February 5, 2014

50 Chefs for 50 Years, Dom DeLuise and Orange Cookies

Pin It
Eat these...you'll feel better!

So the chefs continue, with the TV circuit.  A friend asked me how my 50 Chefs blogs were going and who was coming up?  When I said Dom DeLuise, he sort of snickered.  And I got to thinking.  I obviously made my list from the dog eared cookbooks I own, from favorite restaurants and cooking shows, but what really draws me to these people?  Crazy ingredients? Expensive meals? Celebrity endorsements?  No.  These are cooks and books and recipes that draw people and families together.  Meals that take time to cook and enjoy.  Meals that encourage wine, laughter and conversation.  Dom, like Dinah Shore, and Ina, and Richard Sax, and Chuck Williams, had long lists of friends that I am certain were thrilled that their friends were so talented and gracious in the kitchen.  That, is what I strive for.  That, is what I look for in a chef, cook, restaurant.  I am not a fan of egos, competition winners, and who gets press.  I want to make memorable food.  So Dom...

A funny man, a good cook!
His cookbook is called Eat This...It'll Make You Feel Better.  How hilarious is that?  And if you have any Italian relatives, you know this is quite true.  I bought this book about 23 years ago.  The title sold me, and I am a child of the 70's and Dom was everywhere.  Always smiling, always cooking.  The book is full of family photos and stories and recipes that make you want to be a DeLuise.  I have so little family history on my Italian side that is documented with photos and recipes that I sort of fell into his book.  I have read it many times, like a novel, and made many soups and entrees in the book.  When I needed to find a recipe to make for the butter substitute I was trying out, I knew that post-it sticking out of his book would lead me to the perfect cookie for Super Bowl Sunday and the threat of snow.

The ingredients are ready to go!
With zest in the glaze
I made them as written, but next time, I will make much, much smaller cookies as they are fluffy!  I also used some orange zest on the glaze.  Next time I will put it in the glaze and in the cookies.  These are not sweet cookies.  They get their sweetness from the glaze.  And if you believe everything you read, orange is a natural antidepressant, so indeed, Eat These....You'll Feel Better!

Bright flavors, dreary day.

Orange Cookies with Orange Glaze

1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/3 cup sugar
6 oz Melt (1 1/2 sticks of the other stuff)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put all the above ingredients in a blender and mix well.  Put into a mixing bowl, and add:

3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder

Mix well, dough should not be sticky, but you should be able to roll in your hands.  You can make pretzels, flattened balls, long sticks.  Whatever you like.  They should sit about 10 minutes before baking at 350º.  They should bake about 15-18 minutes until golden brown.  They really don't spread, but do get quite puffy, so resist making big cookies.
While the cookies are baking, make the glaze.

1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 pound confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix well.  You want the glaze thick enough to dunk a hot cookie in, but not too runny that it's thin.  When the cookies come out, dunk into the glaze and allow to dry.  You can sprinkle them with confetti, nuts or zest.  I prefer the orange zest.  A perfect pick me up on a dreary day!  So what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

If you missed any of my previous 50 Chefs for 50 Years posts, here's an easy way to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment