Friday, February 6, 2015

Minnie's Chocolate Pie...From The Help Take TWO

Pin It



Minnie's Chocolate Pie!

My earlier post on Minnie's Pie is one my most popular.  However, the comments were getting concerning, people were having pie failure.  I had out of town company, and decided this was the perfect time to pull Minnie back out and bake a great Southern dessert for my friends from the NorthWest. 

As you may know, should know, Minnie was a maid in the movie The Help.  Her cooking is a big deal in this movie, and her pie has a secret ingredient (that I leave out!).  I reread the comments and remade the pie, and it was perfect.  I didn't change a thing.  However, the mixing part is imperative.  It says 3 minutes.  Time it, it is way longer than you think.


Use the best you can get!

Use that hand mixer, and a timer!

Sift the cocoa...


 I, again, used a Pillsbury crust.  I love a homemade crust, but this is easy, and for last minute, it really can't be beat.  I did kind of a crummy job crimping the edge so I have a wonky side, but worked out fine!

Finally, check the size of your pie pan.  Too big, your pie will be thinner, that's a problem when it comes to baking time.  I just can't emphasize how dang easy this pie is!

Minny's Chocolate Pie from The Help

1 refrigerated pie crust
1½ cups sugar
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
1-5½oz. can evaporated milk (Double check your can, they also come MUCH bigger!)
1 teaspoon vanilla (you know what kind to use!)
Whipped Cream for serving



Fit crust into 9" pie pan. Crimp edges and prick bottom and sides.
Preheat oven to 350°. Mix sugar, cocoa and butter in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat with a mixer 3 minutes.  3 whole minutes...time it.   Add salt, milk and vanilla and mix well.   I used the hand mixer, just to incorporate it all.

before baking


Pour filling into shell and bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges are brown and filling is slightly set in the middle. It should wiggle a little.  Cool completely before serving.

It gets a little crust on the top when baking


Can be refrigerated or served at room temp. And tastes even better with fresh whipped cream!
So, what are you waiting for?  Get in there and bake!

It firms up when chilled, ours was a touch warm, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment